The remains of Tenby Castle can be found perched high on the headland looking out to sea. It was originally an earthwork castle but had been rebuilt in stone during the 13th century. It is recorded that Tenby was one of several castles held by William Marshal as the Earl of Pembroke and it is believed to have been the Marshal who began the refortifications of the site in stone.
The castle fell into disrepair by the 14th century although in 1457, the surrounding walls were strengthened through the unusual collaboration of Jasper Tewder and the townspeople who split the costs of defending their town.
Tenby Castle is currently owned and maintained by Pembrokeshire County Council
- Tenby Castle, Bridge Street, Tenby. SA70 7BP